Wednesday, July 20, 2011

ARE YOU READY TO GET DIRTY?

SISTER SPARROW AND THE DIRTY BIRDS





I read about Sister Sparrow And The Dirty Birds in the July/August 2011 issue of Relix, and the article piqued my interest enough to go to their site and check out the bytes. You can stream the whole disc at the site, and I liked what I heard enough to get my hands on a copy.



Led by Arleigh Kincheloe, Sister Sparrow AndThe Dirty Birds puts a modern spin on classic soul.

Kincheloe's powerful voice is backed by an eight man unit who lay down thundering grooves and soaring melodies, comprised of four horns, one guitar, a bassist, drummer, and a harmonica player.

They can all sing, too, with all the soul of a choir of drunken angels.


Categorizing this album is difficult.

There's all the hip-grinding, sweat-soaked funk on their self-titled debut album that you could ever want, but the songs on their debut disc really have a little something for everyone, blending old school funk and soul with straight up rock and roll.

Recorded in a single session at world renowned Avatar Studios in New York, this record captures the band's powerhouse wall of sound where the harmonica and 4 piece brass section plays a front and center role.

Kincheloe and her brother, Jackson (harmonica), were raised in the Catskills region of New York by musical parents (mother a country singer and father a rock drummer) you could say music was in their blood.

Intent on creating a big band with a funk and blues style, the brother and sister team set out to recruit some of the best young musicians from coast to coast. Already winning rave reviews, the band's live shows are rocking stages everywhere and building a huge buzz and following.

Sister Sparrow And The Dirty Birds' blend of seductive soul and dirty blues-rock reminds you why you love live music.


So I ask again - are you ready to get dirty?
 
FREIGHT TRAIN
 

DIRT   BOOM BOOM


NO REST FOR THE WICKED



 
HOLLOW BONES
 

5 comments:

  1. TODDFAN DISCMAN ~
    A pretty good band with a great name.

    I don't really care for the lead singer's stage mannerisms. It's almost as if she's thinking to herself: I'm gonna stand up here and squirm around and gyrate in this too-tight dress, and feel myself up from time to time, and you guys in the audience are gonna fall head over heels for my put-on sex appeal.

    BUT... they've got some good tunes that are thick and chewy. Not bad for this rotten time in music.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little shallower than you, Stephen-I kind of do like the "squirm-in-a-too-tight-dress" thing.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>...I'm a little shallower than you, Stephen

    Well, just remember that YOU'RE the one who said it.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I popped by because one of the moms at my daycare gave me a big iTunes gift card and I was hoping to be introduced to some great new music. It looks like I picked just the right time for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by, Beth!

    A week or so ago, I posted about a CD by Slavin' David-blues/rock.

    I have a copy of their first CD that I'd be happy to send your way.

    My e-mail address is up in the header-just send me your snail mail info and it's yours-I even spring for the postage!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?