Thursday, July 14, 2011

IT TAKES A BIG HEAD TO PLAY THE BLUES

BIG HEAD BLUES CLUB: 100 YEARS OF ROBERT JOHNSON






I guess musicians named "Todd" have a proclivity for Robert Johnson tribute albums. After Todd Rundgren dropped "Todd Rundgren's Johnson" last year (see my post last month), Todd Park Mohr (of Big Head Todd And The Monsters fame) brings us a new band, The Big Head Blues Club, with their debut CD, 100 Years Of Robert Johnson.


This is the kind of record that rock bands with an ear for their blues roots have always wanted to make. What's not to like? Five days recording in Memphis at the famous Ardent Studios with some of the bands biggest musical heroes playing legendary roots material as a tribute to the late Robert Johnson to celebrate his centennial. Produced by Grammy winning producer Chris Goldsmith, and featuring guest musicians such as BB King, David "Honeyboy" Edwards, and Charlie Musselwhite, all the ingredients are here for a winner..

This is a less rocking than the Rundgren album, but that did not stop me from spinning it several times on release day. Mohr captures the spirit and sound of Robert Johnson with a modern spin. Ten Robert Johnson songs on the cd, some acoustic, others electric, but all fantastic renditions and toe tapping blues for sure.

My first thought on seeing this on the release sheet was, "does the world need another album of Johnson covers (this is my fourth)? Since I've documented my prefence AGAINST covers albums so many times on my various blogs, I won't repeat myself here. This is however, an excellent recording, well produced with tight musicianship, really capturing the delta blues soul. The guest musicians were well chosen Mohr and his band are tight, and this is one heckuva good blues album.


LOVE IN VAIN
 
 
CROSSROADS BLUES
 
 
 
 
COME ON IN MY KITCHEN
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I always come back to the same idea when contemplating the recording of covers: If you're going to do it, you need to make the song your own; you've got to make it sufficiently different - either through arrangement or instrumentation or vocal delivery - to justify its existence.

    With that in mind, I listened to "Love In Vain" (my favorite RJ song) and thought: I might as well (and would rather) listen to RJ doing it.

    But I thought that "Crossroads" and "Kitchen" were very, very good covers. Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

    When you gonna review "The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions"?

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen-

    Even though he eally did not break new ground, in my mind the definitive RJ covers album is "Todd Rundgren's Johnson."

    Big surprise there, huh?

    I agree with your parameters though, especially if you are going to an album of covers all by the same artist.

    Maybe I'll break out that two disc deluxe version of 'London Howlin' Wolf' and try to come up with a review. I seem to remember that you already did one, no?

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I did one... in my style. No reason you can't post one in... YOUR style.

    Between both of our reviews, maybe 1.5 new persons will learn of The Wolf's "London Sessions".

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  4. That presumes we have 1.5 readers between us!

    Not sure I have a style...

    "it's still a style to have no style"
    -Todd Rundgren

    LC

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?