Saturday, February 23, 2013

BLUE LINE SPECIAL

ROBBEN FORD 
"BRINGING IT BACK HOME"






The first song on guitar virtuoso Robben Ford’s new album, Bringing It Back Home, is entitled “Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky,” and he proceeds to live up to that promise on the ten cuts that follow.

One of the premier electric guitarists today and a five-time Grammy nominee, Ford is known for his blues playing and has played with artists as diverse as Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, George Harrison, Bonnie Raitt, John Scofield, Greg Allman and Bob Dylan.

Bringing It Back Home is a study in soul, style and virtuosity that cuts to the heart with emotion-laden musicianship. The album’s supporting cast features organist Larry Goldings, drummer Harvey Mason, bassist David Piltch and trombonist Steve Baxter.

The album is a diverse selection of songs, from Charley Patton ("Bird's Nest Bound") to Bob Dylan ("Most Likely You Go Your Way And I’ll Go Mine") to Allen Toussaint (the aforementioned "Everything I Do Gonna Be Funky") all nicely melded in a bluesy/jazzy style, with vocals that seamlessly connect with the material, providing a nice counterbalance to his musicianship that Ford makes look easy.

This album showcases Ford’s considerable skills as a bandleader and song interpreter, and is one you won’t want to miss.














4 comments:

  1. Hmm? Very cool. Is it a colassal failure that I don't know who this cat is? Thanks for showcasing him. I watched the trailer and find myself intrigued by him. Since I'm always on the lookout for new music, I will dutifully surf over and check him out further. Thanks, my friend. I hope the weekend has treated you well. Have a good week.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy-

      Although he has been around for decades, Ford has never really hit big, so no failure on your part!

      I'll be rolling out some obscure stuff for the A 2 Z blogfest, so stay tuned!

      Have a good week, as well!

      Larry

      Delete
  2. Now I feel better.Good to know I'm not the only one who wasn't familiar with this musician. Thanks for writing about him, and sharing his music. I LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Susan-

    FYI, I try not to post about mainstream artists (unless I'm too big a fan to stay away) since they usually do not have a problem with promotion.

    My goal for each day in April is to have every reader shaking their head (where does he find these bands?) but hopefully, enjoying some of what they hear!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?