Monday, August 22, 2016

PLAYLIST-J. GEILS BAND

Everybody knows their big hits "Centerfold" and "Freeze Frame," but the J. Geils Band had amassed 9 studio albums and 2 live albums before hitting it big with their radio-friendly Freeze Frame album.

Here is a look at what came before...

 


Love Stinks was one of their first hit records with three singles charting, setting the stage for their commercial breakthrough. I open my list with the title track.




   


During the early days, the band was sometimes at their best covering old R&B numbers, which led to the Covered By Geils compilation, and these two classic tracks, 
"First I Look At The Purse" and "Where Did Our Love Go?"



One Last Kiss hit #35 on the Pop Singles charts in 1979








"I Do" is another cover, from 1977's Monkey Island. While it was not released as a single, and the album led to the band being dropped by Atlantic, a live version became a hit in 1982.








"Raise Your Hand" was from the bands second live album in 1976-the album reached number 40 on the Pop albums chart.














"Must Of Got Lost" hit number 12 on the pop singles chart in 1975.










Two more tracks from the Love Stinks album make my list, "Night Time" and "Just Can't Wait"





Sanctuary was the first album I bought by the band, so I thought I should close my list with another song from that record. Here is "I Don't Hang Around Much Anymore."






Here is a link to the Spotify playlist.

13 comments:

  1. This is one group I never got into at all. I had one friend who had some of their albums and he and his wife liked them, but I never heard it playing when I was with other friends so I'm guessing not many of them if any had these albums. I guess they must have been pretty good to attain the success they did, but it just wasn't my favorite style of music to listen to.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think their main success was really the one album but I always liked their sound.

      Delete
  2. I had to Google it just to confirm that they actually did call it "Must Of Got Lost." Cringe. My inner grammar Nazi just died a little.

    You ever watch that show Angie Tribeca? It's a ridiculous kind of homage to The Naked Gun. The male main character is named Jay Geils, and I wonder if it's some kind of reference to this band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen it but an homage to TNG is right up my alley.

      Delete
  3. Although I'm not a huge fan, we saw them live a couple of years ago, opening for Bob Seger. They were highly entertaining and we enjoyed the show. Peter Wolf is a real showman. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to see them (saw Seger twice, though). That's a good pairing-once I saw REO open for Seger-not a good match.

      Delete
  4. One last kiss remains my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Love Stinks album. Come Back is my favorite song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing is that I never liked their two biggest hits, 'Freeze Frame' and 'Centerfold'. But I did like some of their other stuffs.

    The only album I ever owned was 'LOVE STINKS', but 'Must Of Got Lost' might be my favorite of their songs.

    Of course it was just a weird novelty, but I always enjoyed listening to that goofy one on 'Love Stinks'...

    "There's something awfully familiar about that bowling ball..."

    I think you gotta be pretty wacky to really like 'No Anchovies, Please' the way I did. Ha! (Only a Tiny Tim fan, maybe?)

    ~ McDogG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, by the way, I saw Seger once and the band that opened for him was either The Cars or UFO. Which leads to these questions: Who the hell books Bob's shows?!?! And do they always wear two different colored socks?

    ~ McDogG

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not good with band names, so I went to YouTube to check them out. The first song, "Centerfold" played and I knew the band instantly. I like that song a lot! I'm not sure, if I remember "Love Stinks" or not even after listening to it. As for the other song titles you mentioned none of them ring a bell. DH says he remembers "I Must Got Lost" and "Give It To Me", as well as "Centerfold". Thanks for sharing this not-so-familiar retro band hit songs!

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?