Friday, July 26, 2013

THE SADDEST THING IN LIFE PART SEVEN

All you need to learn in life you can learn from watching "A Bronx Tale."




Okay, maybe that is a bit of a stretch.

I know this is a music blog, but on a couple of occasions (HERE and HERE), I have participated in blogfests listing my favorite movies.

One movie that always makes the cut is 1993’s A Bronx Tale, starring Robert DeNiro in his directorial debut and featuring/written by Chazz Palminteri.

This excellent film opens with the sounds of romance in the Bronx (“Marie! Get in the f*&king car!”). There are a few violent scenes, but mostly the story is about a boy who is drawn to the local gangster against the wishes of his bus-driver father.

I also love the film because of all the important life lessons contained within. You may think I say this in jest, but all you need to know in life, you can learn from watching this film.

And I am going to prove it.

Today continues a series of posts describing the valuable  lessons contained in the film.

“The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever.”




Lesson 7: Don’t Worry What Other People Think

 

Colagero and Lorenzo share a love for the Yankees.
 
 

One day Sonny asks C why he cares about Mickey Mantle, when Mickey Mantle doesn't care about him.

Sonny tells C that nobody cares about anyone but themselves.

And while in life we should not take this to the point of being hurtful to others, it is a good lesson to be true to yourself.

You should do what you want with being obsessed with other people's opinion.

Take care of yourself.  No one else will.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. It's a hard lesson to accept, but I believe it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All too true....and it took me way loo long to learn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You can't please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself..."

    Boy, you must reeeeeally like that movie!

    Thanks for the link to the chords and lyrics to the Snider song. I never even heard of him before, but I really enjoyed that clip. Guess I'm gonna have to listen a few more times to pick up the melody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan-

      Glad Stephen T. turned you onto Snider-I did the same for him a few years back.

      His debut album (Songs For The Daily Planet) is one of the best debut albums I've heard, and sadly went unnoticed.

      I heard of it because a Philadelphia alternative station played the hidden track, which was sort of a novelty song.

      I'd recommend that disc, as well as "Near Truths And Hotel Rooms" for the live version of "Devil's Backbone Tavern."

      Larry

      Delete
    2. And I almost forgot-see "A Bronx Tale!!"

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?