Monday, July 22, 2013

THE SADDEST THING IN LIFE PART SIX

All you need to learn in life you can learn from watching "A Bronx Tale."




Okay, maybe that is a bit of a stretch.

I know this is a music blog, but on a couple of occasions (HERE and HERE), I have participated in blogfests listing my favorite movies.

One movie that always makes the cut is 1993’s A Bronx Tale, starring Robert DeNiro in his directorial debut and featuring/written by Chazz Palminteri.

This excellent film opens with the sounds of romance in the Bronx (“Marie! Get in the f*&king car!”). There are a few violent scenes, but mostly the story is about a boy who is drawn to the local gangster against the wishes of his bus-driver father.

I also love the film because of all the important life lessons contained within. You may think I say this in jest, but all you need to know in life, you can learn from watching this film.

And I am going to prove it.

Today continues a series of posts describing the valuable  lessons contained in the film.

“The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever.”





Lesson 6: Nobody Likes A Rat





In the opening scenes of the film, C had a tough decision to make.
He saw Sonny commit a murder, and could have told the police.
He knew better than to be a rat because as he said, "A rat is the lowest thing you can be in my neighborhood."
C is not only saving his reputation, he could be saving his father's life. Maybe his own life. 

There are times in life when you'll have to do things you know aren't right for the greater good.

It's life. It's not a goddamn fairytale. People have a hard time with life's gray areas, but everything is not black and white.
Except for those cookies....

If the local tough guy gives you a gun to hide for him, hide it and shut up.
Capisce ?




5 comments:

  1. Here in Suburbia you won't see any gang murders, but I'll tell you, the police are useless. If I see something, I either keep to myself or handle it on my own, because even in Suburbia no one respects the rat. Hell, I've seen guys call the police because some random stranger walking their dog didn't pick up after them and just kept going. You can only imagine how hard they were laughed at - by police and neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is there could never be enough police to handle all the dog poop calls.

      It used to be people would tell the stranger to pick up the poo, but everyone has lost their guts.

      Th worst case is, you ask the guy to pick up the poo and he tells you to go f&$k yourself.

      I'd advocate less police and a corresponding reduction in taxes-and people try to handle the little things on their own.

      Delete
  2. The more I read of your discourse on this movie, the more convinced I am that I want to see it. (You aren't in advertising, are ya?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan- I hope you look at the video clips. I tried to get the scenes that represent the "lesson."

    Some of them are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit 'publish' too fast-not in advertising (accountant), and not tied to the movie in any way other than it is my favorite.

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?