Monday, July 8, 2013

THE SADDEST THING IN LIFE PART TWO

All you need to learn in life you can learn from watching "A Bronx Tale."




Okay, maybe that is a bit of a stretch.

I know this is a music blog, but on a couple of occasions (HERE and HERE), I have participated in blogfests listing my favorite movies.

One movie that always makes the cut is 1993’s A Bronx Tale, starring Robert DeNiro in his directorial debut and featuring/written by Chazz Palminteri.

This excellent film opens with the sounds of romance in the Bronx (“Marie! Get in the f*&king car!”). There are a few violent scenes, but mostly the story is about a boy who is drawn to the local gangster against the wishes of his bus-driver father.

I also love the film because of all the important life lessons contained within. You may think I say this in jest, but all you need to know in life, you can learn from watching this film.

And I am going to prove it.

Today continues a series of posts describing the valuable  lessons contained in the film.

“The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever.”


Lesson 2: Leadership Qualities



C asks Sonny if it is better to be loved or feared.

Sonny says, "It's nice to be both, but very difficult."



He goes on: "Fear lasts longer than love... it's fear that keeps them loyal."

 "I treat my men good, but not too good, or I'm not needed. I give just enough so that they need me, but they don't hate me," says Sonny.

“Love is fleeting, that's why I don't trust it. Friendship? It's BS. Most friendships in my business are based on money and are meaningless once the money stops.”
The lesson-don't be a pushover. Demand respect.
 
 
 

 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I loved this movie. I saw it once when it first came out, but I was young and didn't really appreciate what I was hearing. Seeing it again as an adult, I got to appreciate the quality of the writing. Those are some great quotes.

    "I treat my men good, but not too good, or I'm not needed. I give just enough so that they need me, but they don't hate me," says Sonny.

    As a guy who has a millionaire brother-in-law (that runs his own huge business), I can tell you this is 100% true. Either he gives people so little that they resent him, or he gives them too much and they take all of the power. They start demanding more. They say they'll walk if he doesn't give it. He always does.

    He's brilliant at starting a business and keeping it profitable, but he's garbage at keeping his employees in line. Maybe I need to send him a DVD copy of this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the movie is excellent, and while I go a little over-the-top (tongue in cheek) on the build-up, there really are a lot of good points made in the movie to take away with you.

    In fairness to your brother-in-law.....having employees is a thankless job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I need to watch this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin-if you don't like it, send me the bill for the rental and I'll cover it.

      Except for some language and a little violence, I think every family with teenagers should watch this film together.

      Delete
  4. Super post, even though I've never seen this movie. I reckon I'm gonna have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

    Keep cool. (If it's possible!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan-see my "guarantee" under Robin's comment. I have never had anyone tell me they hated it (not everyone ranks it as their favorite, but all have agreed it's a good film).

      And somehow, it manages to be a great film without zombies, vampires, super heroes and computer-generated special effects!

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?