Friday, October 4, 2013

FISH'S FEAST


 
 
Regular readers of this blog will probably note that I mention the progressive rock band Marillion quite often.  I was introduced to the band back in 1990, just as they were bringing in a lead singer to replace Fish, who had just embarked on a solo career.

Interestingly enough, whether by design or coincidence, both the band and the solo artist have managed to maintain careers in a declining music business through savvy use of the internet. And while I would characterize Marillion as having mastered the 'net, Fish certainly has managed a living via the use of the online community allegedly invented by Al Gore. 

For A Feast Of Consequences, his tenth solo album. Fish delivers an album that will not disappoint.

With delicate and unhurried song construction, rich yet unimposing production and layered with mood, tempo and instrumental changes, the record rocks hard where it needs to, and is subtle as silk songs warrant a gentle touch.

The record opens with a dark and somber atmosphere, the opening track leading into a more upbeat number and then to the sparse beauty of Blind To The Beautiful, which, if there were justice in the world, would already be all over the radio. Next up is the title track, catchy and anthemic.

The album’s progressive leanings shine on the five-part High Wood suite, five epic songs that tell a tale of war and it’s horror. The album finishes with a ballad and a “proggy” final number.

Fish fans will love it, progressive fans should love it, and but there are songs here that would appeal to most rock and roll fans. Available at Fish’s site in a deluxe version and standard jewel case edition.

FEAST OF CONSEQUENCES PREVIEW



BLIND TO THE BEAUTIFUL (live)




 

7 comments:

  1. Very nice... and some of the war artwork puts me in mind of Iron Maiden's Paschendaele- a word that always sends shivers down this WWI student's spine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW-

      I've tried to get into Iron Maiden-they're just too hard for my taste. I like Dream Theater (also very hard)-I think I put up with their heavy sound because of the progressive leanings.

      Larry

      Delete
  2. Ten albums is a decent accomplishment. I wish I could have listened to the video cuts, but all I get is image without sound. Do you know anything about this problem? I googled it and found I'm not the only one. I need to take the time to investigate more. It's only happening to me with YouTube. Other sites are fine.

    Weird.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-news to me, but other commenters have made mention of that in recent posts. Is it just the clips on my page?

      Larry

      Delete
  3. As a somewhat newish reader, I've never heard of Marillion nor Fish. But I do love prog rock (Porcupine Tree is my bread and butter), so I do believe I'm off to Youtube now to hear some more songs from the band and the solo artist...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan-

      I like Porcupine Tree as well-Steven WIlson produced an album for Fish back in the 90's (Sunset On Empire), which was how I'd heard of PT.

      Have you heard Wilson's solo stuff? Well worth checking out...

      For Tossing It Out's A to Z blog hop in April, I did a progressive album (by band) for each letter of the alphabet-you may find some sutff of interest there.

      LC

      Delete
  4. The problem was in my YouTube settings. Not sure why it happened but when I looked on Google it sounded like a number of people had the same thing happen.

    Back in business again. In time for the next BOTB>

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?