Friday, February 11, 2011

OUT OF THE SHADOWS


Michael Stanley should be a national treasure. Both as a solo artist and with the Michael Stanley Band, his brand of heartland rock has made him a fixture on the Cleveland music scene for almost forty years. His 1980 single, "He Can't Love You," flirted with national chart success, peaking at number 33 (and it was the 45th video ever played on MTV-betcha didn't know that!). Another single, "My Town," reached number 39 in 1983, but further national success eluded him after that, although he has continued to release albums regularly.


On his 22nd release, "Shadowland," Michael hasn't lost his touch. The band hits the ground running with the album's opening rocker that throws down the gauntlet to bands that are years younger and dares them to rock as hard! The album features thirteen new originals that range from rockers like "It's All About Tonight" and the title track, along with some poignant ballads like "Skinny Jeans." The sound is "vintage" Michael Stanley, and continues his musical journey that spans almost forty years and keeps getting better.

A new album from Michael Stanley is sort of like a reunion with an old friend. It's been too long, and good to have him back Fans of late-seventies era Springsteen, Seger and John Cougar Mellencamp should give this a listen.

4 comments:

  1. I've certainly heard of the Michael Stanley Band but I'm not familiar with the music. I don't know if I'd still like it a whole lot. I don't enjoy Springsteen and Mellencamp as much as I used to. I mean, I still like the music okay, but I rarely listen to either of them.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex-

    You're one of the few, although I still hear "He Don't Love You" on the radio now and again. While I never listen to the radio at home or in the car, it still gets played in stores, etc.

    Lee-

    In that case, I am immediately throwing out all recordings that sound anything like Springsteen or Mellencamp.

    I kid. While I don't enjoy them as much as I used to (I passed over most other musical genres in favor of that one in my teen/early twenties), I still do enjoy listening to them, and Stanley has matured in his songwriting, which makes him an enjoyable listen.

    I may need to ask one of you how to set up a blog-hop. Stephen McCarthy suggested the "8 Great Debut Albums of All Time."

    I don't know that we'd see the participation of the top ten songs or the Desert Island discs, but he and I probably know each other's list already, and it would be interesting to see some other people's perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, the debut blog hop. That would be an excellent one for you to do and I would be a definite supporter and participant.

    As far as setting up the sign up sheet, the Linky list guy has started charging to use his, but it doesn't cost that much.

    There may be other list services that are still free, but I'm not familiar with any. Do a Google search?

    Or if you know how to write computer code maybe you could make your own. Don't ask me about this though.

    Good luck and let me know when.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?