Sunday, February 6, 2011

POUR ME A BLACK AND TAN

Review originally posted on http://www.myspace.com/disc_connected on 8/16/08




No Fixed Abode offer up their new album, "Clearwater." No Fixed Abode are a folk rock band fronted by Una Walsh, whose haunting voice clearly carries an Irish accent, accompanied by Tony Dean on guitar. Filling in their sound are guest musicians including Ashley Hutchins (of Fairport Convention fame) and violinist Patrick Walker.


Their sound is hard to categorize, but folk-rock is close. I could cop out and compare them to Blackmore's Night, but they lean a little more modern than Blackmore's medieval stylings. In Walsh's voice, I hear qualities that echo Sarah McLaughlin, Tori Amos and Kate Bush, but again with a sound all her own.

The songwriting is top-notch and the album flows quite nicely.  It's an eclectic mix of songs ranging from  pure voice/guitar arrangements to a full folk rock sound with emotional stops all along the way.

If you like acoustic folk/rock and singer-songwriter music, this CD is definitely worth a spin. You can get yours at www.cdbaby.com/cd/nofixedabode.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like another recording that I'd like. I also like Sweetwater-- remember them?

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee-

    I'd actually forgotten this one until I went through my old reviews. The perils of a big collection.

    Are you familiar with Clannad's work? You may like them as well. A little new-age-ey but quite nice.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of Clannad but I can't say that I've actually heard any of their music.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?