Tuesday, December 30, 2014

CHRISTMAS COLLECTION

Continuing my trip through my Christmas CD collection, right up to the feast of the Epiphany on January 6.

Today's title is a nod to my good friend Stephen T. McCarthy, as I feature one of his favorite vocalists with The Carpenters Christmas Collection.

Compiling their two Christmas releases, 1978's Christmas Portrait and 1984's An Old Fashioned Christmas, this is a two disc set perfect for snowy days and Mondays.

It was actually cheaper to pick up the two-disc set than the individual titles.

Karen Carpenter's voice is perfectly suited for a holiday album, why not pick up two?

MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING


THE CHRISTMAS SONG




DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?


2 comments:

  1. >>... "this is a two disc set perfect for snowy days and Mondays."

    Don't let 'em get you down.

    I know it will come as no surprise to you that I also own this 2-disc set and it's always one of my most played Christmas CDs during the Holidays.

    Her voice was really something special. There's a quality in it that I can't really describe accurately, but I've heard this quality in only two other voices: Astrud Gilberto and Bobby Darin - when he sang ballads, especially those with a touch of melancholy undertone.

    But NOBODY possessed this vocal quality more than Karen did.

    I also really love her lullaby-like version of 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town', which I used in a BOTB last year. (Karen won against Sinatra 7 to 4 - Yea!)

    Ironically, although Karen and her brother Richard were HUGE Beatles fans, their cover versions of Beatles songs are the only Carpenters recordings I really don't care for.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a shock at all that you own this.

      While not always my genre of choice, KC kind of ruled the 70's radio waves and I agree with that something in her voice.

      Another life that tragically ended far too soon.

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?