Monday, December 22, 2014

THE FIRST CHRISTMAS MORNING

Over the years, I have amassed a boatload of Christmas titles, and each December I break them out for the season that celebrates the birth of Bethlehem's favorite (and God's only begotten) Son.

This year, I thought I'd share some of them with you.


Dan Fogelberg was an artist I'd lost track of after my college years. 

Dan's Phoenix and Innocent Age albums were regulars on my turntable, but I'd never picked them up on CD and Dan fell off my radar. 

Sadly, he remained off my radar until his passing in 2007. Dan Fogelberg was only 56, and he died just before Christmas that year.

When I heard the news, I looked for my copies of those two albums, and was surprised to find that I no longer had my vinyl copies and had never bought the compact discs. 

I spent some time in the record stores and online looking for CD copies of those two albums, but they were out of print and commanding high prices on eBay.

I picked them up on vinyl for a dollar each (at Zia Records, naturally), and that got me listening to vinyl records again (although CD's are still way more convenient). 

Within a year or so his albums started being reissued on CD, and I eventually collected the whole catalog, including The First Christmas Morning.

This was Dan's only Christmas album, released in 1999.

THE FIRST CHRISTMAS MORNING
CHRIST THE KING



SAME AULD LANG SYNE

This song was released on The Innocent Age, but fits the season, and I always loved it. So I'm posting it. If you think I am breaking the rules, you don't have to listen to it.




9 comments:

  1. Never heard much from Dan Fogelberg, but I actually prefer this to your typical overplayed Christmas song. Digging that mellow sound. Hope you have a Merry Christmas, L.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first wife was a huge Dan fan and she turned me onto him. I never even knew he had a Christmas album out.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked Same Auld Lang Syne.... but it makes me sad. Kind of like a new year. Happy and sad at the same time. Which makes it perfect....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what I love about the song most-even if there were no words, the musics puts you right in that "where did the time go" mood.

      I would have been in my late teens the first time I heard it, maybe twenty, and I remember it made me feel...old.

      I love it when music can do that.

      Delete
    2. Almost forgot-Merry Christmas, Robin!

      Delete
  4. I always liked Dan and I believe I have one or two of his albums on vinyl in a storage locker, but I wasn't aware of his Christmas album. Thanks for a nice stroll down memory lane. 'Same Auld Ang Syne' was always one of my favorites. Kind of reminds me of Harry Chapins 'Taxi'.

    Merry Christmas LC and have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FAE-That's another song that I head while young that made me feel sad and old.

      Chapin's Cats In The Cradle was always a mood-setter for me as well.

      Not that they are depressing-they just wake me aware of how fleeting life is.

      Music can be so powerful. And there's never enough time.

      So I'll take the time now to say Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?