Wednesday, December 3, 2014

CHRISTMAS IN THE SAND



Over the years, I have accumulated a pretty big selection of Christmas titles, which I break out each December during the season that celebrates the birth of Bethlehem's favorite (and God's only begotten) Son.

This year, I thought I'd share some of them with you.



There’s a heckuva contrast between Annie Haslam’s Christmas album and today’s title, Christmas In The Sand, from lovely young Colbie Caillat.

While Haslam's effort gives JC a lot of air time, Caillat manages to lay down fifteen tracks (I bought the Target edition with bonus tracks-the regular CD issue has twelve) without a single mention of He who the day is celebrating-which kind of made me wonder what she believes.



There are lots of references to Christmas (a word that of course is derived from Christ’s name), and Santa Claus (derived from Saint Nicholas)-so the avoidance of songs which directly reference our Savior is puzzling-the whole point of this holiday is Jesus. 

Otherwise, you’re really celebrating the winter solstice.

All that said, Caillat’s voice is nice enough, and the arrangements are good. 

The four original songs will probably not become classics, but the album is a good listen and worth picking up.


CHRISTMAS IN THE SAND



BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE









4 comments:

  1. I think it was very Christian-centric (exclusivistic) of you to mention the name Jesus while at the same time refusing to use the names of any non-White deities like allah, and saying nuttin' about those who celebrate his existence like muhammad and barack obama (who themselves are half-man and half-god).

    And what about that "other" equally important holiday, Kwanzaa, created by Maulana Karenga in 1966? Why no mention of that from you? Is it because you don't really believe that celebration is equally important just because it's celebrated by Africans and African-Americans and by just plain - *GASP!* - Black folks?

    At least Colbie Caillat was willing to ignore all gods equally, which is more'n I can say for YOU, you racist basturd!

    Gonna lynch any Black people on Xmas day, you White Supremacist MoFo?!

    I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all gods and men and Winter celebrations were created equal."

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be featuring my assortment of Kwanza-themed CD's a little closer to the actual celebration.

      And don't miss my Festivus post!

      Delete
  2. I'm not religious, and don't worship Santa, so I don't participate much in the Christmas season. However, I do love Christmas muic, and find the gospel types most uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all fun music...but I have a boss who is a devout atheist yet she celebrates Christmas. I don't ask for fear of offending her, but I wonder what the motivation is.

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?