Tuesday, November 19, 2013

TODD'S JOHNSON: A SECOND LOOK




Esoteric Antenna appear to be living up to their promise to release material from Todd Rundgren's archives, following the abandoned Utopia Disco Jets album and a live Nearly Human concert (Live At The Warfield) with this eagerly awaited live CD and DVD set that captures highlights of Todd's US tour that followed the release of his album of songs written by the legendary blues musician Robert Johnson,

The band was comprised of Todd Rundgren (guitar, vocals), Jesse Gress (guitar), Kasim Sulton (bass) and Prairie Prince (drums).  

In addition to classic Robert Johnson songs, the band also performed classic material from his back catalogue including 'Black Maria', 'Soul Brother', 'Open My Eyes', 'I Went to the Mirror', 'I Saw the Light' and 'Boogies (Hamburger Hell)', making for a memorable live experience captured wonderfully in this set.

The DVD in the set is region free and in NTSC format and can be played in any country. ""Todd Rundgren's Johnson Live"" is packaged in a deluxe digi pack format with a lavishly illustrated booklet.

Coming December 3-just in time for the holidays!

1. DUST MY BROOM
2. STOP BREAKING DOWN
3. KIDDIE BOY
4. SOUL BROTHER
5. KINDHEARTED WOMAN BLUES
6. BLEEDING
7. BLACK MARIA
8. LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN
9. LOVE IN VAIN
10. OPEN MY EYES
11. SWEET HOME CHICAGO
12. UNLOVED CHILDREN
13. I WENT TO THE MIRROR
14. COME ON IN MY KITCHEN
15. HELLHOUND ON MY TRAIL
16. WEAKNESS
17. TRAVELLING RIVERSIDE BLUES
18. CROSSROADS BLUES
19. I SAW THE LIGHT

20. BOOGIES (HAMBURGER HELL)

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure Rundgren puts an interesting spin on the music. I hope so as I'm not an extreme fan of Johnson's style of music. I can appreciate it, but I probably wouldn't sit around listening to it as a rule.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-

      Todd's take is basically a rock take-so think Clapton covering Johnson, but the guitar is a little louder.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure this is a very solid compilation, but the child in me can only sit and giggle at "Todd Rundgren's Johnson."

    Oh, and his Johnson is live, too...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan-

      My post when I reviewed the studio album was titled "Todd Rundgren Gets His Johnson Out For You."

      During the live show, he made quite a few "Johnson" jokes...

      But it was a pretty good disc (provided you like the blocks with a rock edge).

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?