Monday, May 11, 2015

IN THE VAULT 05/11/2015

Tom Waits signed to Asylum Records in 1972 and released a string of albums that are considered by many to be classics.

In the eighties, he seemed to start believing his own press, and after the stellar soundtrack to One From The Heart, his Swordfishtrombones release saw a change in musical direction in both songwriting style and arrangement, as Waits began to feature less commonly used instruments.

Sadly for me, this rendered most of his post 1982 output unlistenable.




Until 2011's Bad As Me. The songs actually had....(gasp)....melody!

Calling it a return to form might be a stretch, but it's the first Waits' album I genuinely like in 29 years.

That's something.











7 comments:

  1. I'd not heard his more recent work. Like you, I'm not a big fan of his 80s and beyond albums, having not cared for the new, almost 'weird for the sake of being weird' direction. I'm gonna have to give this album a listen, though. I really like both of those songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one seemed to be a return to form for me....and a long overdue one at that. But the early ones are still the classics...

      Delete
  2. You won't be surprised to know that I still haven't started on figuring out how to open the vault (make google work for me). However, once I do, I will send you a list of albums I thought I had (where did they go?) and see if you have them, as well as some I wish I had. I really love this vault idea. I wish I was more tech savvy, so this would be easy vs formidable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of it is just seeing it done...my brother showed me the Google Drive, although they changed the look of it and I was able to figure the new interface out without calling him.

      Are you having problems downloading the files or what to do with the files after you download them?

      Delete
  3. These are kind of interesting cuts, but I'm still not the biggest fan of Waits. Not the kind of stuff I'd normally sit around listening to.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet you were just sitting at your computer listening to it...

      Hmm.....

      Delete
    2. Actually, I didn't listen to the first cut all the way through and the second one was so short that I guess it played through by default. And I didn't listen to either a second time.

      I do own at least one Waits album that I have listened to a number of times, but it's been years and I must have been high when I was listening to it. Everything sounds better when you're high.

      Arlee Bird
      A to Z Challenge Co-host
      Tossing It Out

      Delete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?