Monday, August 5, 2013

THE SADDEST THING IN LIFE PART TEN

All you need to learn in life you can learn from watching "A Bronx Tale."





Okay, maybe that is a bit of a stretch.

I know this is a music blog, but on a couple of occasions (HERE and HERE), I have participated in blogfests listing my favorite movies.

One movie that always makes the cut is 1993’s A Bronx Tale, starring Robert DeNiro in his directorial debut and featuring/written by Chazz Palminteri.

This excellent film opens with the sounds of romance in the Bronx (“Marie! Get in the f*&king car!”). There are a few violent scenes, but mostly the story is about a boy who is drawn to the local gangster against the wishes of his bus-driver father.

I also love the film because of all the important life lessons contained within. You may think I say this in jest, but all you need to know in life, you can learn from watching this film.

And I am going to prove it.

Today concludes my series of posts describing the valuable  lessons contained in the film.

“The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever.”




Lesson 10-Wasted Talent
 
A loser isn't someone who's stupid; he never had a chance, God made him stupid.

 A loser is a guy who could have made something of himself but didn't. A loser is a guy with wasted talent.
 
Don't be that guy.
 
Make the most of what talent you have.

In the film, as C walks out of Sonny's funeral, he does a voiceover narration.

"Sonny and my father always said that when I get older I would understand. Well, I finally did. I learned something from these two men.

I learned to give love and get love unconditionally. You just have to accept people for what they are, and I learned the greatest gift of all. The saddest thing in life is wasted talent, and the choices that you make will shape your life forever.

But you can ask anybody from my neighborhood, and they'll just tell you this is just another Bronx tale."


"Failure isn't about falling down
Failure is staying down"
-Marillion


 

3 comments:

  1. Doctor DiscDude ~

    Nice conclusion to your series, Brother.

    I ought to rent that movie again. Or better yet, buy it.

    >>... Don't be that guy.

    I'm afraid I AM "that guy".

    And now, within spitting distance of 54, it's too late to change the course this river took. (To paraphrase Ed Wood: "My next life will be better.")

    Yak Later...

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Old Age Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would offer the idea that you have chosen to express your talents in different ways than simply earning money in an industry that probably stands for all you think is wrong with humanity.

      I'm glad the river took this path-I made a good friend!

      Delete
  2. What parents haven't tried to teach their kids about "living up to their potential"? Same for teachers. Our younger son used to get good grades, but almost always with those dreaded "N"s for effort. He never got why the "don't give a crap" lack of effort bothered us so much until he had kids of his own.

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?