Sunday, April 3, 2011

SPRING MUSIC PREVIEW


The April A To Z Blog challenge is upon us, and the only way I was going to pull it off was to have my posts, a review for each letter of the alphabet, ready in advance. Since many of these reviews are of classic (or not) albums that were released prior to 2011, I wanted to do a quick post to tell everyone about some upcoming releases that I am looking forward to.

So while the other five hundred or so bloggers are taking Sunday April 3 as a day of rest, I'm slaving away, bringing music news to the people!




Robbie Robertson – How To Become Clairvoyant (April 5) Former Band leader’s (get it?) first solo outing in more than a decade.



Foo Fighters – Wasting Light (April 12) Their seventh studio album, produced by Butch Vig



Steve Earle – I’ll Never Get Out Of This World Alive (April 26) T Bone Burnett produces, Allison Moorer guests, and Earle says “it’s the countriest record I’ve done in a long time.”



Stevie Nicks – In Your Dreams (May 3) Seven tunes co-written with Dave Stewart



Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues (May 3) A lot of anticipation for this sophomore release...



Warren Haynes – Man In Motion (May 10) Gov’t Mule frontman solo record has a sixties R&B / Soul vibe going


Booker T. Jones – The Road From Memphis (May 10) Yes THAT Booker T. How does he follow up having the Drive-By Truckers as his side men? How about by bringing in Philly’s own The Roots?



The Cars – Move Like This (May 10) Todd Rundgren filled in as front man a few years ago because Ric Ocasek said “There are no Cars without Ben.” Maybe he needs the money.



Ben Harper – Give Till It’s Gone (May 17) A solo record, with Jackson Browne and Ringo Starr guesting


Oh, and happy birthday, Mare! I don't know if you still celebrate 'em, but don't think I forgot!

12 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you are working on Sunday (I am too) but I am looking forward to the great posts you will doing this week! :) I am a avid music lover too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the "working" comment in the post was tongue-in-cheek about posting on the off day.

    Sadly, I am in the office working (accounting, quarter-end, auditors arrving tomorrow).

    But I have the tunes going!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. TODDFAN DISCMAN ~
    OK, it's 'Trivia Time' for the man who owns every Pop music album ever released (and hundreds if not thousands that never were).

    Can you tell me what was the "B" side of the completely forgotten Eddie Cochran 45 single "Love Again"?

    If you guessed "Summertime Blues", you guessed right.

    Man, talk about some record company exec not really having his pulse on the times, eh? "Summertime Blues", a song that has been played by every Rock band with at least two notes to rub together. "Love Again", a song that even an Eddie Cochran fan such as myself has never heard. Go figure.

    Anyway, I'm sure hoping you will redeem yourself from overlooking the idea of making "B" for "Brian & His Beach Boys" by making "C" for "Cochran, Eddie". I mean, c'mon and show us you have a little "Rebellious Cool" hidden beneath that dreary Philly exterior, eh?

    To twist a Bocephus line to suit my own purposes: "If you don't like Eddie Cochran, you can kiss my..." (assuming you know the rest).

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  4. But see, everybody knows Eddie Cochran. Not everybody will have heard of my "C" band.

    Aren't you supposed be be off somewhere with your woodie and your best girl?

    Do you think everyone knows what the BB's meant by woodie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. DOCTOR DISC ~
    >>...But see, everybody knows Eddie Cochran. Not everybody will have heard of my "C" band.

    Not so! Few people know Cochran's stuffs anymore. In fact, only the coolest of the cool know Eddie. (Heck, if you even own a single album by the man, you probably only bought it since meeting ME, Doctor Cool. OK! OK! Never mind. I know I just went too far. But do ya gotz any Eddie in yer collection? If not, yer gonna give me the Summertime Blues!)

    >>...Do you think everyone knows what the BB's meant by woodie?

    I'm not even sure I know what they meant. But... ain't this a family-oriented blog?

    Gotta woodie, gotta go...

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Foo Fighters! I seem to have let them fall off my radar in recent years. I hope this album is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea for an A-Z series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Fleet Foxes! And, totally agree - great idea for the challenge Discman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for stopping by!

    Michelle- I'm looking forward to the Foo album-they have been pretty consistently good.

    Trisha-thanks! A lot of what will be posted about this month is a little older, but I tend to buy a lot of music and will resume with newer stuff in May...

    Talei-


    The Fleet Foxes debut was quite good, so I am looking forward to the follow-up.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost forgot...

    Get your minds out of the gutter, readers!

    To the Beach Boys, a "woodie" is a wooden-paneled station wagon that was just right for carrying surfboards...

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  11. >>...Get your minds out of the gutter, readers! To the Beach Boys, a "woodie" is a wooden-paneled station wagon that was just right for carrying surfboards...

    I was gonna post something here (about your BORING readers), but I guess I won't so as not to put YOU on the spot, and so as not to offend any of your (BORING!) readers.

    [Nevertheless, my hunch is that you now have a very good understanding of why I am soon going to quit blogging.]

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    POSTSCRIPT: DiscDude, feel free to delete rather than post his comment. But you KNOW what I'm sayin' here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...someone's in a bit of a snit, isn't he?

    I think most of the readers are too young to remember what a "woodie" is.

    Heck, I'M too young to remember! And I done got old!

    ReplyDelete

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?

HOBBY OR ADDICTION?